Tips for trail running in the woods at night
Here are the highlights:
- Picture a witch in there and you run at a pretty good race tempo.
- Don't look off the trail to see what is watching you :-)
- I run in the dark with a Morakniv knife on my waist. You can get them for around $10 bucks on Amazon. It’s a great bushcraft knife that holds a nice edge and won’t break the bank if you lose it. I feel better than being empty-handed. (FYI, I’m a big burly bearded dude, lol)
- Get a great headlamp like Petzl Nao.
- When you are running "into the dark" it won't be as bad as starting a run in the dark - your eyes should adjust pretty well.
- To overcome the fear, just start with short trails in town, and wear a headlamp. It's fun when you get used to it, but only until you encounter a mountain lion I guess.
- Bring a friend or a dog if you’re uncomfortable alone but once you’re feeling braver, try some night runs on your own since you very well might be alone on race day.
- Consider turning on FindMyIphone or another location tracker if there’s someone you trust back home.
- Stay hydrated and have a small snack before you go. That’ll remove barriers like low blood sugar to decision making.
- Slow down and every now and again, turn your light off and enjoy the darkness.
- To the point about it being spooky, I totally agree. Just something to push through and get used to. I’ve also found that listening to trve kvlt black metal like Burzum gets me in the mood on a dark trail. Sometimes I like to pretend I’m a black wizard wandering the swamps and casting spells.