Get Ready to Go RVing: Your Ultimate Guide to Planning an Epic Backcountry Adventure
Are you ready to hit the open road and explore the great outdoors? Look no further than the world of RVing. With the freedom to travel at your own pace and the convenience of having all the comforts of home on the road, RVing is the perfect way to embark on an epic backcountry adventure. Whether you're a seasoned RVer or a first-timer, with the help of Go RVing Canada this ultimate guide will provide you with everything you need to plan the perfect RV adventure.
Benefits of RV Camping
RV camping offers a unique experience that allows you to bring the comforts of home further into the backcountry. With an RV, you have the ability to explore remote areas and enjoy the serenity of nature while still having all the amenities you need. Here are some key benefits of RV camping:
- Comfort and Convenience: RVs provide comfortable sleeping arrangements, fully equipped kitchens, bathrooms with hot showers, and climate control systems. You can enjoy the beauty of the wilderness without sacrificing the comforts of home.
- Freedom and Flexibility: RVing allows you to travel at your own pace and choose your destinations. You can easily change your plans or explore off-the-beaten-path locations. This flexibility is especially beneficial when venturing into the backcountry.
- Cost-Effective: RV camping can be a cost-effective way to travel and explore. You can save money on accommodation and dining expenses by cooking your own meals and staying at RV-friendly campgrounds.
- Family-Friendly: RVing is a fantastic option for families, offering a great bonding experience and the opportunity to create lasting memories. Kids can enjoy the outdoors while still having a comfortable and familiar environment.
Choosing the Right RV
When it comes to choosing your RV, finding the right RV for your lifestyle is key and there are several different types to consider. Each type offers unique features and benefits, depending on your specific needs and preferences. Here are just a few types of RVs you can choose from depending on what type of RVer you are:
1. The Weekend Camper: This type of RVer generally spends their weekends RVing at a campground.
a. Pop-Up Campers: These are lightweight enough to be towed by virtually any car and can be found in many lengths with options such as hot water, refrigerator, air conditioning and washrooms.
2. The Traveller: The RVer who loves hitting the open road with multiple stops for up to multiple weeks.
b. Travel Trailers: These are towable RVs that attach to a hitch on the back of a vehicle. They come in various sizes and can include features such as a kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping area.
c. Class C Motorhome: These mid-sized RVs offer a good balance between comfort and maneuverability. They typically have a bed over the cab and can sleep 4-7 comfortably for those longer trips.
3. The Nomad: The full-time RVer that lives and is looking for adventure and to experience the country.
a. Class B Motorhome: Also known as camper vans, these are smaller, more agile vehicles that can be easier to maneuver on the road. They usually include a small kitchen, bed, and bathroom.
4. The Snowbird: The RVer that hits the road over multiple weeks.
a. Class A Motorhome: These are the largest and most luxurious RVs available, often equipped with all the amenities of a high-end home, such as a full kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.
5. The Resident: The long-term RVer that lives or works from the RV and enjoys bringing toys and gear for the journey.
b. Fifth Wheel Trailers: These are similar to travel trailers but attach to a hitch in the bed of a pickup truck, making them larger and more stable on the road.
c. Toy Haulers: These are travel trailers or fifth wheels with a garage area for storing ATVs, motorcycles, or other outdoor equipment.
When considering which type of RV to choose, it's important to research and explore the various options available to you. By doing so, you'll be able to find an RV that best fits your budget, lifestyle, and travel goals. For help finding the right RV, Go RVing Canada’s RV Matchmaker Tool is an easy way to compare different models based on your needs.
How to Pack Perfectly for Your First RV Trip
Before hitting the road, it's essential to be prepared for your RV adventure. Go RVing Canada’s RV Starter Toolkit features top tips for getting started and taking your first trip.
When it comes to packing for your RV adventure, it's important to be strategic and efficient due to limited storage space. Here are some tips to help you pack perfectly for your trip:
1. Clothing: Pack clothing suitable for the weather conditions and activities you'll be engaging in. Consider versatile pieces that can be layered and mix-and-matched. Don't forget to pack comfortable shoes and outdoor gear such as hiking boots and rain jackets.
2. Bedding and Linens: Bring bedding, pillows, and towels that provide comfort and a good night's sleep. Consider space-saving options such as vacuum-sealed bags for storing linens.
3. Kitchen Supplies: Stock your RV kitchen with essentials like cookware, utensils, plates, cups, and cutlery. Opt for durable, lightweight, and stackable items to maximize space. Pack non-perishable food items and ingredients that are easy to prepare and store.
4. Toiletries: Bring travel-sized toiletries and personal care items to save space. Don't forget essentials such as toilet paper, hand soap, and shower supplies.
5. Tools and Safety Equipment: Include a basic toolkit with essential tools, as well as a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and emergency roadside kit. It's also a good idea to have a portable tire inflator and a backup power source for emergencies.
6. Outdoor Equipment: Depending on your planned activities, pack outdoor gear such as camping chairs, foldable tables, hiking equipment, fishing gear, and bicycles. These items can enhance your outdoor experience and make your adventure more enjoyable.
Three Must-See Canadian Destinations
Canada is filled with incredible spots to try out RV camping amidst natural splendour, unrivalled in the world. Here are just three of our favourite locations:
Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, British Columbia
Situated on the west coast of Vancouver Island, Pacific Rim National Park Reserve is a captivating destination. This park combines lush rainforests, rugged coastline, and stunning beaches. RV camping is available at the Green Point Campground. Explore the breathtaking trails, catch glimpses of whales and other marine life, and experience the unique cultural heritage of the area.
Banff National Park, Alberta
Located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, Banff National Park is a paradise for nature lovers. It features towering snow-capped peaks, pristine turquoise lakes, and abundant wildlife. The park offers several RV campgrounds, including Tunnel Mountain Village and Lake Louise Campground. Immerse yourself in the beauty of iconic sites like Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and the Icefields Parkway, all while enjoying the convenience of RV camping.
Forillon National Park, Quebec
Nestled on the eastern tip of the Gaspe Peninsula, this park is known for its stunning coastal landscapes and breathtaking views overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The park is teeming with a variety of wildlife and is notorious for its whale watching between the months of June and September. RV camping is available nearby at Camping Baie De Gaspe. Cycle or hike along the park’s network of trails and then take a leisurely dip at Penouille Beach where you can enjoy some of the warmest sea water in the region.
Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador
Gros Morne National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its geological wonders and dramatic landscapes. The park showcases towering fjords, glacier-carved valleys, and the stunning Tablelands, a mountain of exposed mantle rock. RV camping is available at Gros Morne RV Campground. Discover the diverse ecosystems, hike the challenging trails, and marvel at the scenic beauty of this unique park.
Looking for more road trip inspiration? Explore pre-planned trip guides across Canada at GoRving.ca. Whether you're looking for a scenic drive through the mountains or a beach vacation, there's a trip guide for every type of adventure.
Get ready to hit the open road
Embarking on an epic backcountry adventure with an RV is an experience like no other. It allows you to embrace the freedom of the open road, discover breathtaking landscapes, and create lifelong memories.
By following the tips and utilizing the resources provided in this ultimate guide, you'll be well-equipped to plan and enjoy a fantastic As a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the RV lifestyle, Go RVing Canada offers a wide range of tips, tricks, and advice for both veteran RVers and first-time users. GoRVing.ca offers free, valuable resources for planning your next RV adventure and has everything you need to know about the RV lifestyle, all in one place.
Are you ready to start planning your own epic backcountry adventure? Visit GoRVing.ca today and let the journey begin!